Monday, August 07, 2006

Debate Challenge

Bruce Braley sent a letter to Mike Whalen on Friday challenging Whalen to a series of four debates between now and the November 7th election.

A copy of the letter is as follows:

* * *
Dear Mike,

I believe the voters of the First Congressional District have a big responsibility and a big choice before them. For the first time in sixteen (16) years, voters will elect a new congressman from Eastern Iowa.

Although we will each campaign vigorously over the next thirteen (13) weeks, I believe voters deserve a chance to see us standing together, answering voters’ questions and describing our positions on the issues.

We have very different views on important issues that affect people across Eastern Iowa. For example, I support raising the minimum wage, but you don’t. I support fair trade policies that will help Iowa workers and the protection of social security from the uncertainties of the stock market. From what I have read, you have a different view.

Given that, I hope that you will join me in four debates that reach the widest possible audience of voters between now and the election. We should discuss a broad range of issues in each debate.

I have asked my campaign manager to contact your campaign to arrange a time to meet and agree on the venues and formats for the debates.

I hope that you agree and will join me in these debates.

Sincerely,

Bruce Braley

***

So far there has been no response issued from the Whalen campaign.

3 Comments:

Anonymous We in the GOP will try again in '08 said...

Since I'm the only person who visits here, I'll post a pithy comment.

Here goes:

A debate challenge?!?! Braley should have a challenge for you Mod Mike. A challenge that you make it through a 90 minute debate without saying:

1. Tsunami
2. Ronald Reagan more than 40 times.

Furthermore, the challene should be to ban the use of foreign objects in the course of the debate including:

1. WWF sized title belt buckles
2. Breatherite Nasal strips

11:30 AM, August 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha to the Nasal strips! Whalen will be befuddled when Harkin doesn't show up for the Debate. Has the GOP told him what he's running for yet?

2:08 PM, August 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whalen doesn't need to debate Braley. According to Whalen his poll numbers are really good. I understand he is ahead of Braley.

9:24 AM, August 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home